Yes, i got fined for something, not sure what i done wrong, just know that it cost me 200 baht at the police station. As a longtime Pattaya expat, i learned not to argue, just say sorry and pay.
I was interested what are the legal fees for traffic law violations in Thailand. Here is what i found so far:
- No license plate – B400
- Running a red light – B300
- Reckless driving – B400
- Illegal U-turn – B400
- Blocking traffic – B200
- Operating an illegal vehicle – B1,000
- Parking in a non-parking area – B200
- No vehicle insurance – B600
- Driving against the flow of traffic – B200
- No helmet (Passenger & Driver) – B200
- No driver’s license – B400
- No owner’s registration – B400
- Overdue vehicle tax – B400
- Using a vehicle which makes noise louder than the prescribed limit – B1,000
The penalties for drunk driving are:
- Drunk driving: Up to one year imprisonment or a fine of B5,000 to B20,000 or both, and driver’s license suspended for six months.
- Drunk driving causing bodily or mental harm to others: One to five years imprisonment or a fine of B20,000 to B100,000 or both, and driver’s license suspended for up to one year.
- Drunk driving causing serious injury to others: Two to six years imprisonment or a fine of B40,000 to B120,000 or both, and driver’s license suspended for up to two years.
- Drunk driving causing death: Three to 10 years imprisonment and a fine of B60,000 to B200,000 and your driver’s license will be cancelled. Whether you will be allowed to apply for a driver’s license again during your lifetime is up to the court.